Historical Places


Kayaköy was a settlement region of Rums (Greeks of Turkish Nationality) in the 14th century. It was founded on the lands of ancient city Karmillassos which had been demolished almost completely excluding a few home-type tombs due to earthquakes. Its ancient name is Levissi. Becoming united with the people of surrounding five Turkish villages and teaching humanity on the concepts of friendship, brotherhood and peace throughout its history, Kayaköy is one of the most important regions to be proud of. According to the agreement of population exchange signed between Turkish and Greek governments in 1922, Rums living in Kayaköy were exchanged by Turks living in the western Thrace.


It is the administrational centre of the Lycian Federation. It is located inside the borders of Kınık Village, 60 km. away from Fethiye. Among the remains reached today from this important city, which had witnessed collective suicides for the sake of freedom and independence, the Acropolis of Lycian period, the theatre of Roman period, the church of Christian period, the city door of Hellenistic period can be seen. “Nereidler Memorial” that had been moved out in 1838 and the other significant Lycian period remains are exhibited in London British Museum.

Fethiye Museum

The Museum has two exhibition halls namely, Archaeology Hall and Ethnography Hall. In the Archaeology Hall, there are ceramic works and statues. Among these, there is a Young Girl's Statue with a Dove and a trilingual stele, which has played an important role to analyse the Lycian language. Hand woven works special to the region, silver jewellery and dastar (head scarf) loom are exhibited in the Ethnography Hall. In the open exhibition, big stone works of art, tombs and Izraza Monument can be seen. The Museum is open everyday except Monday from 09.00 to 18.00.

Fethiye Castle

It is supposed that the castle, ascending in the south of the district, belongs to the Knights of St. John. There are two small and simple rock tombs on the east side of the hill excluding a few writings carved out on the walls and a cistern of which date is indefinite.

Lycia Rock Tombs

Fethiye with its 4th century works of art remaining from Lycia period attracts attention. These are the tombs, carved out on natural rocks, which became the symbol of the district. Amintas which is the most elaborate of these tombs can be reached via many regular stairs. It can also be seen easily from the plain below and the admiration for its greatness increases when approached. At the centre of the left-side column, ' Herpamias' son Amintas ' was written in the alphabet of 4th century B.C. The identity of this man is not known exactly. There are many tombs worth to be seen in the district. The most important one of these, is the tomb which belongs to the Lycian Period. The tomb, ascending from the sea, has an interesting appearance. On the front side of two storeyed tomb there are quadrangle carvings resembling wooden beams and a gothic style arched cover. Both sides of the cover were ornamented with frescoes depicting wars, and it is thought that these are related to the life of Amintas.


At a distance of 45 km from Fethiye, Tlos is one of the six big cities of the Lycian Federation. The sport centre of the federation is also Tlos. It is known as the city where mythological hero Bellerophon and his winged flying horse Pegasus lived. Determined as the oldest city of Lycian Region by the archaeological excavations, Tlos dates back to the time before 2000 B.C. The graveyard on the natural rocks of the city acropolis was filled with most elaborate house-type tombs Of Lycia. It is known that the king-type tomb in the necropolis is dedicated to Bellerophon.

Telmessos Antique Theater

As mentioned in the ancient sources, there was a big theatre in Telmessos. During the drill excavations carried on by the Directorate General of Fethiye Museum in 1993, seats of the theatre were found 3-4 meters under the soil layers formed because of erosion. After the excavations concluded in 1995, all the extant remains of the theatre were re-surfaced. Built in the early Roman Period and repaired in 2000 AD, it is known that the theatre with a capacity of 5000 seats was used as an arena. At present, the theatre has a seating capacity of 1500 people.


It is at a distance of 25 km from Fethiye within the borders of Üzümlü village. It is known as the last city joined to the Lycian Federation. The city, was quite destroyed due to natural reasons arising from its different geography. The city with its theatre, agora, complex of stadium- public bath and monumental tombs, unearthed after the excavations carried out by Fethiye Museum, has become very popular in recent years.


Situated 55 km far from Fethiye, Lettoon was the religious centre of the Lycia Federation. It is well known for three temples dedicated to the Goddess Leto, Goddess Artemis and God Apollo. Archaeological excavations have been carrying on since 1962 in Lettoon and the churches of the early Christian period are uncovered.